Saturday, May 2, 2015

Exploratory Writing for the Creative Nonfiction Story

A: It's sort of hard to remember everything that has happened to me, but I suppose my camp stories are always so exciting to talk about. I've been going to camp for the past three years, this year being my fourth year, and with every year there are always plenty of memories. I guess I'll begin from my first year at camp. It was the summer after my first year of middle school... every year also brings a handful of "firsts." I was excited, especially because I thought going to sleep-away camp meant having the time of my life. No parents for the month of July sounded great... until I actually got to camp. I felt that being 11 was old enough. Old enough to take responsibility of myself and old enough to spend a whole month alone. But, I thought wrong. I didn't know anyone in my camp, except one girl whose mom was friends with my mom and was the reason I was there in the first place. We didn't really talk. She has already been at camp for a couple of years and had many friends, and all of them were strangers to me. I began to try and talk to them all, and I was super glad to find out that they were all friendly. As boring as my first year of camp sounds, last year was by far the complete opposite. The friendships I've created with everyone grew extremely strong and to this day I think camp friends are the ones you never want to lose. Nowadays, I talk to a large group of my friends from camp on a daily basis, and just the thought of being able to spend my last summer at camp with them makes me very thrilled.

B: I'm really drawn to some of Diaz's narrative styles. First off, I thought that blending Yunior's fantasy into his story was extremely interesting. I feel like I can definitely express hypothetical events throughout my camp experience would be a great way to actually interact with my reader. Even though Diaz generally expresses Yunior's character through this idea of intimacy, this fantasy that he creates really lets us capture whatever is on Yunior's mind. I think that using such a style can not only show my underlying emotions, but it can also bring the reader closer to me in the sense that the more the reader knows what I think about, the better chance they have understanding me as a person.

C: I would say that the notion of using an objective correlative to express a deeper emotion is pretty fascinating and inspiring. In previous creative writing works that I've done in middle school, I almost always bluntly stated how I felt and why I felt that way. But now, after reading Diaz's work, I'm glad that I was able to find a more interesting way to go about expressing emotion. I think that just being able to describe anything and everything, yet still have an emotion you're trying to convey deep down is really cool. Doing so doesn't seem to limit the amount of emotions you can communicate to the reader, rather it lets you talk about your emotions in unique and distinct ways.

I have noticed that I've focused on the idea of revealing how I feel and the ways in which I can get across my emotions to my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment