Monday, May 11, 2015

Homework for May 11

I'm really interested in close-reading Diaz's transitions around his objective correlative and fantasy.  Especially because it was hard for me to understand and pinpoint something deeper than just him swimming through a pool, I think I should focus in on how he switches into a different writing style, rather than what his style actually is.  It was pretty easy for me to grasp a sense of how to mimic one of his styles, but it was a challenge to move from my own style to one of his without having a sudden and abrupt change in the way my story sounds.  He seems to glide into a new style, and so I am really going to focus on how he is able to do so.

Passage 1: "My mom was overwhelmed with the amount of items I decided to take with me." I was thinking that after this I can include some dialogue using Diaz's way of mixing together dialogue and narration.  I can say how my mom actually felt and how my annoyed my dad was as he had to bring all of my bags down to the basement and into our car.

Passage 2: "They became the sisters I always wished for." I can finally reveal a few names, as I have been holding off any name throughout my whole story.  I also think that adding the detail I wrote in class today with a new writing style would reveal what they thought of me, so at the same time I would express my feelings towards them and their feelings towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment